Water Leak Detection for the Home
Water damage caused by burst or faulty pipes is the number one cause of home insurance claims in the UK today. In 2018, almost £1 billion was paid out for escape of water events, more than fire damage and theft claims put together. With the growing cost of claims, insurers are increasingly insisting that customers that have experienced water damage must install a device that automatically shuts off water when a leak is detected. Others are providing incentives such as reduced premiums to customers that install these types of devices as a way of reducing risk, whether they have suffered a leak or not.
As well as the financial cost, there is also the emotional impact. Large leaks in your home can prove highly disruptive and may mean you have to move out of your home while drying and restoration takes place. Leaks can also cause the loss of irreplaceable or sentimental items that can be distressing.
But many leaks are manageable or even avoidable with the correct technology in place. Flow-based water leak detection systems, like those below, work by monitoring variations in the movement of water through pipes using a sensor installed on your col water pipe, just after the stopcock. When abnormal flow is detected, a valve will automatically close, shutting off the water and minimising the extent of the damage to your property. Our devices can also make you aware of a problem in other ways, such as an audio alarm. Text messages and/or emails can also be sent to a smartphone, tablet or PC and, with a smart water leak detection device, you can also remotely control a valve from anywhere. These functions can be made available to more than one person too, making it easy for homeowners, landlords and property managers alike to act quickly to resolve a problem when a leak is detected.
The below devices are designed to monitor the flow in an entire property, making them ideal for installation in any type of residential property.
- Our new, internet-connected water leak detection and prevention device
- Better understanding of water consumption using intelligent monitoring via the Flow Reporter web app, an innovative smart metering and data analytics software technology
- Adjustable flow and time thresholds, set according to typical water usage
- Automatic water shut-off via a valve in the event that a leak is detected
- Remote valve control via the Flow Reporter web app
- Text message and/or email alerts direct to your connected device if thresholds are exceeded
- Monitors real-time, daily and monthly consumption, to help users improve water efficiency, identify problems and save money on bills
Example applications: Houses, apartments, small commercial units – water consumption monitoring can be applied across all property types
- A market-leading inline water leak detection and prevention device
- Specifically designed for installation in new build or retrofit residential applications
- Monitors the volume and duration of water passing through a pipe, against pre-set thresholds to identify excessive and unexpected flow
- If thresholds are exceeded, a solenoid valve will automatically close and shut off the water supply
- Installed on the cold-water pipe, just after the stopcock
- Operates using a roving handset, which can be battery or mains-powered
- Allows for flexibility around different users’ varying water usage and can be manually over-ridden when necessary
- Can also automatically shut off the water after a pre-set period of time if no flow is detected
Example applications: Houses, apartments, small commercial units